Thursday, August 14, 2014

Luck


First of all, thank you to everyone who has read my last post and supported me in telling my story. I have more up my sleeve to say so keep coming back. I have read so many kind words that fill me up like a hot-air balloon, (but not in like a conceited way like I'm full of hot air.) All I can say is thank you and Ellen style "RIGHT BACK AT CHA."

Conveniently enough, I had my check-up with my psychiatrist at the hospital yesterday. I came away feeling very optimistic about my situation. Foremost being that I'm finally able to switch up my medication after being stable for so long. For those interested in these minor details I'm not taking divalproex any more and upping the lithium to 2 pills a day. The superficial side of me is most excited about not having the side effect of weight gain. That epival in combination with living in the dorms second semester really did a number on me. I was excited about the change, and then I woke up this morning after taking my first new dosage and felt the beautiful grogginess, dizziness, and even muscle twitches lithium brings. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I had to take a day off of driving and work.

My psychiatrist is awesome. I really lucked out. I got to ask him all my latest questions and he gave me good advice and even counsel. He told me (knock on wood) that he's really happy with my progress and condition. He also told me twice about how so many people in my exact situation live very successful lives with families and careers. I've always felt like I'll be able to accomplish (well definitely not all the time, but hoped) whatever I've wanted to do, but hearing it really gave me a boost. I'm also able to count my blessings because there are also many people who even take their medication regularly but are constantly in and out of the hospital. I'm blessed with current wellness and an amazing support system. I have it easy.

I also got to visit my loving therapist. I always benefit from talking about myself for an hour straight, you should try it. I also got to get my haircut by my go-to #1 lady who I love so much (my best friend's mom) so all in all a very successful day.

After my first appointment at the hospital, I took a short walk outside. The hospital is in a gorgeous location on the reservoir, and the unit I stayed in is right in the front with the view. I could see one of my old rooms from outside and walked down the trail that I frequented that leads to the shore.





I'm one lucky girl. Oh and please indulge me in a selfie in the parkade which just enough blinding noon sun to even out that complexion and make my hair color crazy (get it a psych ward visit) good.

No comments:

Post a Comment